The first step to becoming an ally to transgender and nonbinary people is to learn more; thank you for taking that step with us!
It can be tough for transgender and nonbinary people to bear the burden of educating others about their lived experience. That’s why we’re publishing this guide: to help begin your education on the basics of gender identity and expression. You’ll be able to better support the trans and nonbinary folks in your lives, and help to create a safer, kinder and more accepting world.
Our Guide to Being an Ally to Transgender and Nonbinary Youth is an introductory educational resource that covers a wide range of topics and best practices on how to support transgender and nonbinary people.
The guide includes:
- The difference between sex and gender
- Basics of gender — identity, expression, and perception
- Forms of address that show respect (names, pronouns, honorifics)
- Helpful tips to increase understanding
- Common mistakes and what to do if you’ve made one
Learning is an ongoing experience, so it’s okay to acknowledge that you might not know some things, even after reading this guide. Part of being a good ally is continuing your education, and we’re happy to be part of that journey with you.